Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pumpkin Scone

Last week I was thrilled to find pumpkin scones in my local Starbucks! I was thrilled for a few reasons. Fall is my favorite season and seeing a pumpkin baked good makes me feel like it is in fact FALL. Also I happen to love all things pumpkin and enjoy the pumpkin scones at Starbucks. I have never tried to bake scones at home. In fact I don't even like the word scone because it makes me think of a very dry baked good. I have never liked scones until I had the pumpkin one at Starbucks and the only reason I broke down a spent money on a thing called a scone was because it had the word pumpkin in front of it. I would probably try just about anything if it contained pumpkin! So I decided to search the internet for the copycat scone recipe. Several had the same copycat recipe from Starbucks, and all the reviews said it was the same as what you would buy at the coffee shop. I have to disagree. I think this is  delish and worth making( it is simple) but I think it is just a little off from the original. They are a wonderful fall treat with that pumpkin flavor I love so much. Make a bunch and let me know what you think.



Starbucks® Pumpkin Scones

2 Cups all-purpose flour
7 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 Teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 Cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons half and half
1 Large egg
6 Tablespoons cold butter

PLAIN GLAZE
1 Cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons whole milk

SPICED ICING
1 Cup plus 3 Tablspoons powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons whole milk
1/4 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 Pinch ground ginger
1 Pinch ground cloves

Preheat oven to 425°F.
.
Scones:
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ginger in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half and half and egg.
Cut butter into cubes then add it to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry knife or a fork to combine butter with dry ingredients. Continue mixing until no chunks of butter are visible. You can also use a food processor: Pulse butter into dry ingredients until it is the texture of cornmeal or coarse sand.
Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, then form the dough into a ball. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle that is about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide. Use a large knife or a pizza wheel to slice the dough twice through the width, making three equal portions. cut those three slices diagonally so that you have 6 triangular slices of dough.
Bake for 14 to 16 minutes on a baking sheet that has been lightly oiled or lined with parchment paper. Scones should begin to turn light brown.

Plain Glaze:
Combine ingredients in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium speed mix until smooth.
Brush a coating of the glaze over the top of each cooled scone.
Allow plain glaze to set up.

Spiced Icing:
Combine ingredients in a cleam bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium speed. mix until smooth. Drizzle this thicker icing over each scone and allow the icing to dry before serving (at least 1 hour).

Makes 6 scones

No comments:

Post a Comment