Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My love for Quinoa!

I have not been cooking with Quinoa(pronounced KEEN-WA) all that long, and I feel like I have missed out since I have not been cooking with it for years! It is a wonderful thing to try out if you have not already! Bob's Red Mill(shown above) is my favorite brand. It is a little pricey, but some places do have sales on it and a bag will last you awhile. Other then it being very tasty and versatile, it is extremely healthy! You can swap it out for any other grain in a dish. I use it the most in cold grain salads, I have cooked it kind of risotto style, and even used cooked Quinoa mixed into banana bread!
This cold salad is my go to Quinoa dish.
*1 cup of dry Quinoa
*2 cups of water, veggie stock or chicken stock
*1 can low sodium kidney beans, drained
*3-4 leaves fresh basil, chopped
*juice of one lemon
*2 TBS EVOO
*black pepper to taste
Prep Quinoa to pkg directions and let cool
Mix cooled Quina with kidney beans, basil, lemon juice,EVOO, and pepper
Chill in the fridge, it is better the second day!

No comments:

Post a Comment