Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Root Beer Baked Beans

I happen to be a HUGE baked bean fan. I have to admit I have never made my own, Bush's has always been my go to guy! Then I found this recipe and it inspired me to  try to make my own. I had most of the ingredients on hand, and it sounded simple enough to me. The result.........YUM!!! For sure a winner in my book! The beans had a wonderful combo of flavors. The recipe calls for bacon, you could use turkey bacon if you like or for a meat free version you can skip the bacon. DIG IN!!!
From Aarti Sequeira


  • 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces or turkey bacon
  • 1 large white onion, finely diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger, I am not a huge ginger fan so i only used half
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 (12-ounce bottle) root beer
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons molasses
  • 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
  • Hefty pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon garam masala, store bought or homemade, recipe follows
  • 2 (14-ounce cans) cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Set a medium oven-safe pot over moderate heat and add bacon. Cook until most of the fat is rendered out and the bacon is crisp. Prepare a plate with paper towels, and using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pot to the plate. Set about a quarter of the bacon aside, for garnish.
Add the onions, garlic and ginger to the pot, and saute until soft and golden. Add the tomato paste and cook until the tomato paste deepens in color, about another minute.
Next add the root beer, cider vinegar, molasses, grainy mustard, red pepper flakes and garam masala. Stir to combine. Then add the beans and bacon, and gently stir so the beans don't lose their shape. Taste for salt and pepper, then pop into the oven, uncovered, until the mixture thickens, about 30 minutes. Remove the beans from the oven, let it cool slightly, and sprinkle with reserved bacon and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment