Sunday, July 15, 2012

Jalapeno Pesto!!

When I first saw Mario Batali making this on the chew, I knew I had to try! I have to admit as much as I like spicy food I got a little scared as I started this recipe and realized I was going to be using THIS
MANY peppers! So I have to tell you strait from the start that this may scare you a little too, but you do take out all the seeds so that takes out a huge amount of heat. Since the heat of hot peppers lives in the seeds! So I assure you right now that if you like food with some zip but not "burn your skin off" kind of thing this recipe is for you. It is not overly spicy at all but rather very flavorful with a kick. This pesto is a fantastic mix up from your every day basil pesto. I have to admit even though I grow my own basil so I can make pesto whenever I want, my basil will be getting neglected from now on. This is now a huge family favorite in our house. Give it a try tonight, I promise it wont be burn your face off hot! Look how beautiful the ingredients are!
We threw in a few lonely scallops and shrimp, but it is fantastic as is with no meat added!

Adapted from Mario Batali

* 6 fresh jalapeno peppers( cored and seeded)
* 5 fresh serrano chilies (cored and seeded)
* 6 garlic cloves
* 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup shelled pistachio nuts
* 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
* Salt and Pepper to taste
* 1 box of Linguini noodles

Boil your pasta to box directions reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water for sauce and drain the rest.
Place the jalapenos, serranos, garlic, onions, pistachios, and olive oil in a food processor and mix until smooth. Season to taste
Place the pasta in a large pot and toss over med heat with the reserved 1/2 pasta water for about a min. Then toss in the pasta to coat. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment